Translate

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wonderful Experience at Muchhad Paanwala (Mumbai's Millionaire paanwala)

I have heard about Muchhad Paanwala from my friends who had recommended me strongly about the delicious paan being served at this place however I never got a chance to visit this place as I hardly visit India due to my business commitments in Japan however yesterday I landed up at Breach Candy yesterday evening and happened to visit Muchhad Paanwala.
It was a wonderful site to see 2 thick moustached men sitting cross legged comfortably in a little open shop, smiling and selling paan (Betel leaf) to a constantly flocking bunch of customers.
Since I don’t consume supari (Areca nut), I asked him to serve me Meetha Paan (Sweet Paan), I was asked if i would like it cold or normal, I asked him to give me cold, soon after I give my order the paan was served to me packed in a dry leaf. I must admit that the paan was quite delicious! Infact the owner was also quiet entertaining. I requested them for a couple of pictures and they both didn’t mind. They infact informed me that they have their own website and I was even more surprised to hear that the website was created in 1998, infact they are the first and probably the only paanwala in Mumbai city to have their own website.
Although it was a short visit at Muchhad Paanwala but it taught me quiet a few lessons which I thought of sharing with everyone through my blog.
  
Create your own brandIn a city filled with numerous paan shops, Muchhad Paanwala has created a distinct identity for himself, and subsequently his product. All his people working at the Paan shop had big moustaches which truly made them unique and kept the brand name continued. No one people are willing to travel a long distance just to grab a paan as they guarantee that the paan served at his shop is somehow superior to the rest served across Mumbai.
It pays to be the firstMuchhad Paanwala was the first paanwala to have his own website in the late '90s. I guess even today he is probably the only paanwala to have their own dedicated website (http://muchhadpaan.com/). The site has a section which is used for placing orders online although I wouldn’t really know how many orders does he get on a regular basis but it sure pays to be different as it gets people talking which leads to curiosity in people and curiosity generally translates into profit.
Believe in your productI believe no amount of marketing and self promotion in this world can translate into profits over a sustained period of time if the goods are not good. At the end of the day it is quality that matters and talks the loudest. Muchhad Paanwala has earned a big reputation only on the basis of quality paan they serve and to my surprise they are quiet reasonably priced.
Treat customers well
It is the customers at the end of the day who create awareness and spread the word of mouth about your product or company, the reason Muchhad Paanwala has stayed in business for decades and  still continues to be one of the best in his business is only due to his customers and their word of mouth. If you take your customers for granted you risk losing them. Customers at Muchhad Paanwala are made to feel like they matter, and quality service has a big role to play in that. Muchhad Paanwala is believed to be Mumbai's Millionaire paanwala however they are down to earth with their customers and always wear a smile and make their customers feel home. This makes them unique from others.

3 comments: