Translate

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Experience at Sushi and more

(Sorry folks for not updating my blog since a long time as I was caught up with important business commitments.)

I was delighted when I found out that there was a small Japanese restaurant running for a little over a year now in Mumbai playing very quietly. This restaurant located at Breach Candy opposite Muchard Panwala (A very famous beetle leaf selling shop). Sushi and more is styled more as  a take away joint where they deliver the customer’s food orders within a certain radius. The frontage is not even on  the main road. It is a very small joint of not more than 200sq ft. (60m2). Despite all this it is doing pretty well serving authenticate Japanese food like sushi, tempura, etc. They even have a small counter selling RTE foods from Japan like Japanese soup, sauces, etc. They have  counter seating only for 2 people (I guess they don’t seem to be  aiming at too many walk-ins hence promoting take away option). However they have utilized their space very well having approx. 4 - 5 employees at any given point. Though they don’t have any Japanese employee as such but the chef (a female) is well versed with the names of Japanese dishes. She handled my order personally. I had the privilege to click photographs with the team present and tasted 3 types of sushi. The fish in the sushi was soft, however I don’t think the rice they were using was  of Japanese origin. However overall it was a nice experience.

Having said that I now am very optimistic of other Japanese restaurants or food joints opening branches in India. Till now only the big restaurants like Wasabi at TAJ or Spices at Marriott’s or Tetsuma etc. were well known and anyone who wanted to eat Japanese food would go to places like these. However now taking the lead from Sushi and More I expect many more smaller players serving Japanese food to come into the Indian market as the Indian Public has started to accept and appreciate the Japanese cuisine. In this aspect I believe food joints like Ramen Joints, Crepe Joints, Yakitori Joints, etc. should do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment